Welcome to term 3! I can't believe we already have half of our year behind us. I reminds me of running a race. I'm not the greatest of runners, but I enjoy running and have run a few races over the years. My second favorite point in any race, next to finishing of course, is when I reach the halfway point. I know that since I've made it halfway, I will have the strength and stamina to finish because it's less than what I've already done.
As we start a new term and work our way towards the end of this year, I would encourage all of us to finish strong and to live by the great Abraham Lincoln's admonition: "I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." If we follow this great admonition and finish this year strong, we'll be able to look back at the events of this year with a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment because, hey, we're half way there!
Have a great week!
SHHS Cheer: Our cheer team won the southern region championship in their division which was held here at SHHS on January 16. They will next compete at state on January 30 at Riverton HS. Congratulations cheer!
SHHS Girls Basketball: The girls are playing well in Region VIII with wins over Uintah HS, Payson HS, Maple Mountain HS , and Wasatch HS. They next face Payson HS in Payson on January 26 at 5:15 PM. Come and support our Lady Skyhawks as they contend for the Region VIII title!
SHHS Wrestling: Our wrestling team got a good win this week against Spanish Fork HS. They will travel this weekend to St. George to compete in the Pineview Invitational as they prepare for the Duals State Championship on January 27 (region champion home sites) and 28 (Maverick Center), Divisional Tournament on February 3 and 4 (Wasatch HS or Alta HS), and the State Tournament on February 10 and 11 (UVU).
SHHS Boys Basketball: The boys basketball team was able to even up their region record this week at 2-2 with a win over Springville HS last Tuesday night. They hope to continue their winning ways and move to 3-2 in region when they face Payson HS on January 26 at 7:00 PM. Come and support the team as they compete in this highly competitive region!
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- The Senior Dinner Dance/Masquerade will be this Saturday, January 23.
- FBLA and DECA are currently sponsoring a food drive for the local food bank. All grades are competing against one another, and whichever class gets the most canned/packaged food wins a very special trophy to be displayed here at SHHS. All food should be dropped off at the front of the school in each class's assigned boxes: sophomores are to deposit food items in the red boxes, juniors in the blue boxes, and seniors have the yellow boxes. The competition will go on for 2 weeks... so hurry! Support your class and support this cause!
- The SHHS Winter Musical, Annie Get Your Gun, will open on Thursday, January 28 at 7:00 PM.
- Also on January 28 our School will be hosting the Region VIII drill competition. The competition will begin at 6:00 PM, and doors will open at 5:00 PM.
- January 28 we will also be the date for the school's 3rd annual Poetry Out Loud competition. Great prizes will be awarded to the winners. Participants are required to select and memorize two poems from the Poetry Out Loud database. To participate, sign up with Mr. Fillmore in room C211 prior to the competition date.
- The Salem City Library is hosting a young adult book cover redesigning contest. Contest participants will submit their design for a cover of a popular young adult title. Three winners will be awarded cash prizes. Applications are available at the Salem City Library or can be downloaded at salemcitylibrary.org/teens. The contest will run until February 29.
- Registration for AP tests ends Friday, March 11. To register click on the link under the student tab on the SHHS webpage or go to https://user.totalregistration.net/AP/450399 . Each exam costs $96.00. There will be a late fee of $10 after March 4.
- March 1, 2016 is the date that seniors need to have the state civics test completed by if they haven't already done so. Seniors who haven't taken the test need to complete it on their Canvas account on a school computer. The school's computer labs will be made available on March 1, 2016 for those who need to complete the test.
- Seniors who are interested in applying for an Academic Letter in Fine Arts, Business, Social Studies, Math, English, Science or a Foreign Language need to go to the counseling office and pick up the Academic Letter information. Each letter has different requirements for applicants to complete. Seniors may apply for as many letters as they would like as long as they meet the requirements. All applicant information must be turned into SHHS Department Chairs by April 14.
- Our Spirit, Heart, Honor, Success service project for January and February will be helping Bailey Wall raise money and awareness for a library and shelter in Ghana. Please support Bailey in this amazing service project by attending the Star Wars movie and costume contest night on January 27 at 6:00 PM. The cost is $5 with funds to be matched by Doterra.
- Salem Hills High School and Nebo School District now have OverDrive! OverDrive is an online collection of eBooks and audiobooks that are available to students 24/7. OverDrive can be used online through the link nebo.lib.overdrive.com or through the free app on your tablet or smart phone. Your user name and password is the same as your Nebo School District computer login. For more information, please see Mrs. Rawle in the Library.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- SHHS attendance policy states that for students to be eligible to participate in a sport, musical performing group, or other extracurricular activity all attendance detentions from the previous term need to be served. For those who need to serve detention time, detention will be held before school in room C 209 with Mrs. Edmondson, and during lunch, and after school in room C 207 with Mrs. Hernandez. The cost is $1 before and after school; lunchtime detention has no charge.
- Remember to share all the awesome , inspiring, and heroic things that are going on at SHHS with #shhshero.
- Be sure to like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/salemhills.skyhawks?fref=ts
Next Week at a Glance: (1/25/16 - 1/30/16)
Tuesday: SHHS Boys and Girls Basketball @ Payson HS (Girls Varsity @ 5:15, and Boys Varsity
@ 7:00 PM)
Wednesday: Fundraiser Costume and Movie Night in the Auditorium, Star Wars @ 7:00 PM
Thursday: SHHS Hosts the Region VIII Drill Competition @ 6:00 PM
SHHS Opening of the Winter Musical, Annie Get Your Gun @ 7:00 PM
Friday: SHHS Region Swimming @ The University of Utah
SHHS Boys and Girls Basketball here versus Uintah HS (Girls Varsity @ 5:15, and Boys Varsity @
SHHS Winter Musical, Annie Get Your Gun @ 7:00 PM
Saturday: SHHS Region Swimming @ The University of Utah
SHHS Winter Musical, Annie Get Your Gun @ 7:00 PM
Attached is our SHHS PTSA Newsletter. We appreciate all they do for our school and community.
PTSA ANNOUNCEMENTS JANUARY 2016
We will be joining the Battle of the Bands with Maple Mountain High School! This is a State competition, so winners will have the opportunity to continue on. I am waiting on confirmation of due dates for applications and the competition date (which we have tentatively planned for March 17th). For entry packet and rules, go to http://www.utahpta.org/battle-bands-packet. Contact Angela Rogers at email@example.com for further information.
"Show Your Love for Your School" Starting February 8th we will be holding our annual PTSA donation drive (formerly known as March Madness)! We are asking each family to donate at least $5. This is our main source of funding for all that we do. It is used for teacher appreciation and birthday gifts, teacher conference dinners, Reflections and Battle of the Bands competition awards, Respect Week, Senior Scholarships, and all of the other great things our PTSA does for our school! If you are not able to donate your time, this is a great way to show support and love for our school. Donation envelopes will be sent home with your student.
Our PTSA Student Officers for this year are: Co-Presidents: Abbie Hawkins and Christian Towse; Vice-Presidents: Lexi Hansbrow and Monson McKay; Secreatary: Janelle Slater; Respect Week Committee Leaders: Linda Taeger, James Colyer, Cassie Bennett, McKay Ashton, Chance Palfreyman, Mallory Hanks, and Kyla Rogers.
Respect Week is March 21st-25th. Our student officers and committee are planning some awesome activities for this week. The themes for each day are as follows: Monday - Respect for Family, Tuesday - Respect for Self, Wednesday -- Respect for Others, Thursday -- Respect for Community, Friday -- Respect for School.
Teacher Appreciation Week is March 28th through April 1st.
Don’t forget the Book Fair- buy one get one free coming April 25-29 in the auditorium common area.
Thanks to all who at at Cafe Zupas for our school night on December 1st. We will be having another Cafe Zupas School Night on April 12th. Up to 25% of sales comes to our school, but you have to let them know you are there to support Salem Hills High School. Put it on your calendar now!
Munchie Mondays was off to a great start this year and we want to thank all of our volunteers who donated time and goodies to help the teachers feel appreciated more frequently than the typical Teacher Appreciation Week. We'd like to thank, Jayne Clare, Haley Stiles, Laurine Jack, Connie Sokol, Karen Weight, Ronda Slater, KennaJean Hamaker, Tancy Eyre, Liz Sly, Mason and Eliza Lindstrom, Heather Hansbrow, Stephanie Ashcraft, Cindy Ellis and Maggie Wiltshire
We are in need of more volunteers to finish out the year. If you would like to know more or would like to volunteer, please text or call Jileen Meservy at 801 400 1925 or sign up to help here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c48abae2ea5fc1-munchie. Happy teachers are better teachers! We know a little appreciation can go a long way!!! We love our SHHS Faculty!