SHHS Weekly Newsletter 12Published by curtis.burton on Wed, 01/13/2016 - 15:39
If you've read one of my newsletters, you're well aware that I like to incorporate quotes into the current state of affairs, that I attempt to write to, regarding our school and our school community. True to form, as I was thinking about our arrival at the halfway point of the school year, I came across this quote by Wislawa Szymborska and recognized its application to our school community: "Every beginning is only a sequel, after all, and the book of events is always open halfway through."
Though we're halfway through the 2015-2016 school year, we have the opportunity to start an amazing sequel to our efforts and endeavors of 2nd Term. We have the opportunity to, depending on our current course, get things going in the right direction, keep things going in the right direction, or take our direction beyond where we've been. This halfway point is a great time and place for our sequel, and I look forward to the sequels and chapters that are yet to come from all the members of this school community. Have a great second half to this school year!
SHHS Wrestling: Several of our wrestlers participated in the Iron Town Duals last weekend, and they competed well. Kyle Larsen and Justin Martin placed 1st in their weight divisions; Ryan Larsen placed 2nd in his; and Caleb Macdonald and Austin Davis each placed 4th in their respective weight classes. Congratulations to these wrestlers!
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- Thursday, January 14 will be the last day of 2nd term.
- The deadline to make class changes is this Thursday, January 14 at midnight.
- Friday, January 15 is a Teacher Development Day; there will be no school for students.
- This Saturday, January 16 our school will host the Southern Regional Cheer Competition. Come and support our cheer team as they compete for the regional title. Our team will perform at 11:20 AM; the cost is $8.
- There will be no school on Monday, January 18, as it is Martin Luther King Day.
- Tuesday, January 19 is the beginning of third term.
- The Senior Dinner Dance/Masquerade will be Saturday, January 23. The cost is $20 payable at the finance office. Please prepay by January 14.
- We are presently selecting a sophomore boy and girl to represent Salem Hills High School at the HOBY (Hugh O'Brien Youth) Leadership seminar this spring at Aspen Grove. For application details, sophomores should see Mr. Gillie. The deadline to apply is January 22.
- Registration for AP tests starts Tuesday, January 19, and ends Friday March 11. To register click on the link under the student tab on the SHHS webpage or go to https://user.totalregistration.net/AP/450399 . Each exam costs $96.00. There will be a late fee of $10 after March 4.
- The SHHS Winter Musical, Annie Get Your Gun, will open on Thursday, January 28.
- Also on January 28 our School will be hosting the Region VIII drill competition. The competition will begin at 6:00 PM, and doors will open at 5:00 PM.
- Concurrent enrollment application and registration deadlines for the spring semester are coming up. January 20 is the application deadline for UVU, and January 22 is the registration deadline for classes. Mrs. Sarah Call has emphasized that if students can get registered before the semester starts, it will make everything easier for everyone involved. For questions regarding the application and registration process, contact Sarah Call at email@example.com; students should apply for concurrent enrollment courses at http://uvu.edu/concurrent.
- March 1, 2016 is the date that seniors need to have the state civics test completed by if they haven't already done so. Seniors who haven't taken the test need to complete it on their Canvas account on a school computer. The school's computer labs will be made available for completing the test on March 1, 2016 for those who need to complete the test.
- Salem Hills High School and Nebo School District now have OverDrive! OverDrive is an online collection of eBooks and audiobooks that are available to students 24/7. OverDrive can be used online through the link nebo.lib.overdrive.com or through the free app on your tablet or smart phone. Your user name and password is the same as your Nebo School District computer login. For more information, please see Mrs. Rawle in the Library.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- SHHS attendance policy states that for students to be eligible to participate in a sport, musical performing group, or other extracurricular activity all attendance detentions from the previous term need to be served. For those who need to serve detention time, detention will be held before school in room C 209 with Mrs. Edmondson, and during lunch, and after school in room C 207 with Mrs. Hernandez. The cost is $1 before and after school; lunchtime detention has no charge.
- Remember to share all the awesome , inspiring, and heroic things that are going on at SHHS with #shhshero.
- Be sure to like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/salemhills.skyhawks?fref=ts
Next Week at a Glance: (1/18/16 - 1/23/16)
Monday: No School (Martin Luther King Day)
Tuesday: Term 3 Begins
SHHS Boys and Girls Basketball @ Springville HS (Girls Varsity @ 5:15, and Boys Varsity @ 7:00 PM)
Wednesday: Honor Choir Area Rehearsals at 4:00 PM
SHHS Wrestling versus Spanish Fork HS @ 7:00 PM
Friday: SHHS Wrestling at the Pine View Invitational
Saturday: SHHS Wrestling at the Pine View Invitational
SHHS Swimming @ Uintah HS
SHHS Senior Dinner Dance @ 7:00 PM