Last week Senator Orrin Hatch, at the invitation of our football team's booster club and Coach Jeff Higginson, visited our community and spoke to our communities' veterans. In his remarks he complimented the veterans saying, " You are the basis of our country; you’re the reason why our country is the greatest in the world.” Though the senator's remarks were intended for the veterans in attendance (and I completely agree with them), they also apply to our school community.
We live in one of the greatest communities in the world, and the admonition of our school applies so well to our community as well. As a community of students, educators, parents, and community patrons and supporters, I experience daily just how much we are anchored in integrity, empowered to succeed, and focused on the future: the future success of our students. I'm very proud to say that, in my opinion, Senator Hatch's previous quote applies to all of you!
SHHS Band: Our band looked fabulous and performed impressively at our football game last week as part of the pregame military and veterans appreciation festivities. They will be competing in the Region 8 Marching Band Competition tomorrow (9/19) at Spanish Fork High School. From the sound of things, they should do really well. Good luck band!
SHHS Boys Football: Though they came up just a little short against Spanish Fork HS last week, our football team battled throughout the game and played with a lot of spirit and fire. They have been competitive in every game this year and hope to see that competitive spirit and fire translate to a win this week as they travel to Vernal to face Uintah HS and play to even out their region record.
SHHS Girls Soccer: Our region continues to be an incredibly competitive soccer region. Our ladies are still in the thick of the region title hunt, and with the second round of region games starting this week, the team looks to continue their winning ways and hope to keep pace with and catch the teams at the top of Region 8.
SHHS Volleyball: The volleyball team is currently in second place in region. They had an exciting win against Maple Mountain HS this week to secure their second place spot, and with the second round of region play starting next week, the ladies look to improve their region standing.
SHHS Boys Golf: Our golf team has a strong hold (65 strokes) on 2nd place in the region with 2 tournaments left to play. 4 of our students are in the region's top 11: Brock Nielson (6th), Steven Barton (7th), Jayden Parkinson (8th) and Kaleb DeGraffenried (11th--tie). Great job guys; let's finish the tournament season strong. The team next plays at Hobble Creek Golf Course on Monday (9/21).
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- Next week is SHHS Homecoming Week! See the schedule below for the various activities going on throughout the week!
- Remember to share all the awesome , inspiring, and heroic things that are going on at SHHS with #shhshero.
- The book fair that the PTSA has sponsored here at our school this week has generated proceeds that will go to our school's HOPE Squad to help SHHS students.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- On October 1 there will be an information meeting in the library at 2:30 PM for all students interested in applying for the SHHS Sterling Scholars. Sterling Scholar applications will be due to Mrs. Rawle in the library by October 20. Sterling Scholar winners will be announced on November 20.
- For those who need to serve detention time, detention will be held before school in room C 209 with Mrs. Edmondson, and during lunch, and after school in room C 207 with Mr. Shumway. The cost is $1 before and after school; lunchtime detention has no charge.
- Be sure to like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/salemhills.skyhawks?fref=ts
Next Week (Homecoming Week) at a Glance: (9/21/14 - 9/25/14)
Monday: Region Golf at Hobble Creek Golf Course
Homecoming Activity: "Paint the Town Blue" (4:00-6:00 PM)
Basketball Open Gym (5:00-8:00 PM)
Tuesday: Girls Soccer @ Uintah HS (4:00 PM)
Girls Volleyball @ Wasatch HS (6:15 PM)
Homecoming Activity: Movie Night (8:00 PM/Outside, west of main gym)
Wednesday: Basketball Open Gym (5:00-8:00 PM)
Homecoming Activity: Skyhawk Rally (7:00 PM/Football Field)
Thursday: JV Football @ Wasatch HS (3:30 PM)
Girls' Soccer versus Maple Mountain HS (4:00 PM)
Homecoming Activity: Co-ed Ultimate Frisbee (4:00 PM/Football Field)
Volleyball versus Payson HS (6:15 PM)
Friday: Tennis JV Tournament
Volleyball JV Tournament @ Copper Classic
Cross Country @ Maple Mountain HS
Football versus Wasatch HS (7:00 PM)
Homecoming Activity: Post Football Game Stomp (Small Gym)
Saturday: Marching Band @ Payson HS (10:00 AM)
Volleyball JV Tournament @ Copper Classic
Homecoming Activity: Homecoming Dance (7:00-10:00 PM/Small Gym)