SHHS Weekly Newsletter 20Published by curtis.burton on Fri, 02/27/2015 - 10:40
"Our business in life is not to get ahead of others but to get ahead of ourselves--to break our own records, to outstrip our yesterdays by our today, to do our work with more force than ever before."
-- Stewart B. Johnson
Too often it seems that we get caught up in the competition in and of life. The competitive nature of life, certainly, is all around us. We see it in sports, employment, and academics, just to name a few of life’s endeavors. Though we can’t control what others do, we can control those things over which we have control: attitude, approach, work ethic, and motivation. By competing with ourselves and facing our daily challenges with, “…more force than ever before,” we will be prepared for life’s competitions; it’s my great pleasure to be a part of a school that helps our students work through and prepare for such competitions!
SHHS Poetry Out Loud: Bethany Davis was the winner of our school's Poetry Out Loud competition, and she went on to place 2nd for all of Utah County. We are proud of her and the way she represented our school so well. Congratulations Bethany!
SHHS Wrestling: Our wrestling team had another great year! They finished in 5th place at the state wrestling tournament which was held on February 11 and 12 at the UCCU Center on the Campus of UVU. Jacob Armstrong took 1st in state in his weight division for the third time and was named the 4A Outstanding Wrestler of the Year; he also won the super state tournament three times which has never been accomplished before. Jaxon Van Tassell placed 2nd in his weight division for the second time in as many years, Jaxon Bowden placed 5th in his division, and Brennan Gerratt placed 6th in his. Congratulations to Coach Brindley, his staff, and all of our outstanding wrestlers.
SHHS Cheer: Our cheer team traveled to Anaheim, California where they participated in the UCA West Coast Championship. The team was awesome placing 4th in the super varsity category which featured teams from all over the western United States. The team conducted themselves with class and sportsmanship throughout their time in California and were awesome ambassadors for our community and SHHS. Congratulations to Coach Simmons, Coach Best, and all the girls who competed!
SHHS Girls' Basketball: The girls' season came to a close last Thursday (2/19) against Mountain View HS in the second round of the state tournament at Salt Lake Community College, and though the season ended sooner than the team would have liked, it was a pleasure to watch them compete this year and win the Region 8 title! Congratulations to Coach Francom, his staff, and the team on a great season!
SHHS Sterling Scholar Finalists: Three students at our school are finalists for the state Sterling Scholar Award. Our school's finalists are Kenny Van Ausdal - Art, Bethany Wride - English, and Nicole Flinders - Vocal Performance. Congratulations to these exceptionally gifted students. They competed Tuesday night at Corner Canyon HS and are currently awaiting the results of the state competition.
SHHS Production of Standing Still Standing: Our SHHS drama department did a fabulous job with their production and performance of Melissa Leilani Larson's play, Standing Still Standing. The contemporary comedy which gives commentary on issues relating to our modern world, such as the use of social media, was brought to life by an enthusiastic SHHS cast (Joey Shearer, Isabel Traux, Madeline Stocks, Jenna Rhodes, Tyler Cooper, Joshua Kitchen, KC Johnson, Adrienne Cox, Brooke Terry, Ethan Mayfield, Chance Palfreyman, Ammon Flint, Parker Brook, Lauren Bennett, Jershon Nielsen, Brayden Kane, Beth Mitchell, and Amber Southwick). They did an awesome job; their performances were energetic and exciting. Congratulations to Ms. Stubbs and the cast and crew on a great show!
SHHS Boys' Basketball: The boys' basketball season came to an end last Friday night. Our boys battled the Bulldogs down to the wire but lost on a made three point shot by Provo as time expired. The team battled hard all year and played the region competition tremendously close throughout the year, losing some heartbreakers. We'd like to thank Coach DeGraffenreid, our team, and our seniors for working so hard and giving the season their best.
- The final rounds of the Knowledge Bowl will be this morning (2/27) and be broadcast live at http://thecube.com/event/knowledge-bowl-2015-467563 beginning at 9:55 AM.
- This Saturday (2/28/15) our debate team will compete here at SHHS for the region debate championship starting at 6:00 AM.
- Also on Saturday, the annual Mr. Skyhawk Pageant will conclude after a week of events here at SHHS. The actual pageant on Saturday will begin at 7:00 PM in the auditorium here at SHHS.
- On March 3, juniors will take the ACT here at SHHS at no cost; they will register for the test in their U.S. History classes. We would like to encourage all juniors to take special care to be on time that day so they do not miss the opportunity to take the test; students who are late will not be able to take the test.
- Our district's Advanced Learning Center (ALC) is having an open house on March 2 from 4:00-7:00 PM and March 3 from 8:00 AM-7:00 PM. Come and learn about the class options and student opportunities available at the ALC.
- The State FCCLA Competition will be held in Layton, Utah on March 10 and 11.
- Cheer team tryouts will begin on March 10 at 3:00 PM in the main gym and run through the 13.
- Drill team tryouts will begin on March 17 at 6:00 PM in the main gym and run through March 19.
- Student council elections will run from March 23 to April 3. There will be a mandatory meeting at lunch on March 16 in room E100 for all students interested in running for student council.
- As a note of reminder, cell phone use is allowed in class only under the direction and supervision of classroom teachers. Therefore, if a teacher does not allow cell phone use in his/her class, phones must be put away and remain put away for the duration of school/instruction time. Please help us maintain this use agreement.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (weight room). It will also be held after school with the administration in the weight room from 2:45 PM – to 3:45 PM, Monday through Thursday.
Next Week at a Glance: (3/2/15 - 3/6/15)
Tuesday: ACT Test (Juniors Only)
Hypno Hick Performance @ 5:30 PM in the auditorium
Jr. Lashays Clinic @ 6:00 PM
Wednesday: Region Vocal/Piano Competition @ SHHS (3:00 PM)
SHHS Baseball @ Stansbury HS (3:30 PM)
Thursday: Debate National Qualifiers @ SHHS (3:00-10:00 PM)
SHHS Lashay Showcase @ 4:00 PM
SHHS Band/Junior High Concert @ 6:00 PM
Friday: SHHS Baseball @ Desert Hills Tournament in St. George, Utah
Saturday: SHHS Baseball @ Desert Hills Tournament in St. George, Utah
Top Schools Study Group (9:00 AM)