Howard Cosell, the great sports broadcaster, once said, "The ultimate victory in competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of knowing that you have done your best and that you have gotten the most out of what you had to give." When I read this quote this week, it reminded me of our students here at SHHS. We have so many students who embody the essence of this quote; from members of our drill team to our wrestlers, our artists, scholars, and basketball players all seem to strive to give their best. It has been quite gratifying to witness our students, to borrow from the ideas of Cosell's quote, getting the most out of what they have to give whether it be on the dance floor or the wrestling mat, the hard court or the canvas. Because watching our students give their studies, projects, competitions, and performances their all, is an inspiring and awesome thing to behold.
SHHS Drill: We are very proud of our drill team. They won the 4A Sportsmanship of the Year Award at the state competition last Friday at the UCCU Center on the campus of Utah Valley University; Coach Emilee Stokes commented that their performances were the best they've been all season long. Their performances of their military, dance, and kick routines were awesome! We're proud of our drill team and the classy way they represent SHHS!
SHHS Wrestling: Our wrestling team had a great showing at the divisional tournament that was held at Roy HS last week. We had 12 wrestlers qualify for the state tournament which will be this Wednesday and Thursday at the UCCU Center on the campus of Utah Valley University. State qualifiers from the divisional tournament include Jacob Armstrong and Connor Sorenson who both finished 1st; Jaxon Bowden, Brennen Gerratt, and Jaxon Van Tassell who each finished 2nd; Dallin Goold (4th); Austin Davis and Isaac Parish (5th); Justin Martin, Caleb Macdonald, and Brigham Hughes (7th); and Mason Chandler (8th). Congratulations to these wrestlers, and good luck at state!
SHHS Artists: Five of our talented artists here at SHHS qualified for the State Art Show: Rylee Thurgood, Katelyn Gallacher, Megan Miller, Kenny Van Ausdal, and Bria Stewart. In addition to qualifying for state, Kenny Van Ausdal and Bria Stewart both won Juror Awards which is quite an honor considering only six Juror Awards are given in the entire state! Congratulations and best of luck in the State Art Show!
SHHS Girls' Basketball: The girls clinched at least a share of the region title by winning their senior game last Friday night against Wasatch HS, and the seniors, Ashlyn Bradley, Hailee Hodgson, Dacia Johnson, Daleen Lundquist, Tiffany Madsen, and Abbie Tuttle, celebrated the feat, with their teammates and coaches, by cutting down the nets. They next face Springville HS in their last regular season game this Tuesday at Springville HS at 5:15 PM, and they will be competing in the state tournament next week at Salt Lake Community College.
SHHS Sterling Scholar Semi-Finalists: A number of students at our school are semi-finalists for the regional Sterling Scholar Award. Our school's semi-finalists are Kenny Van Ausdal - Art, Julianna Millett - Social Science, Bethany Wride - English, Nicole Flinders - Vocal Performance, Sariah Lee - Speech/Theater/Forensics, Rylee Beckstead - Skilled and Technical Sciences, Hayden Hullinger - Family and Consumer Sciences, Katelyn Gallacher - Computer Technology, Lauren Bennett - Business and Marketing, Mitchell Stone - World Languages, Kenadee Limb - Dance, and Devri Adams - Science. Congratulations, and good luck in the next round of selections!
SHHS Football Signee: On Tuesday, February 3, our own Porter Gustin committed to play football at the University of Southern California. Porter's signing with USC contributed to the university having the distinction of being the highest rated football recruiting class in the nation. Congratulations Porter!
- Parent -Teacher Conferences will be on February 11 from 3:30-7:30 PM. Teachers will be in their rooms and parents and students will conference with the teachers in their rooms.
- There will be a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) completion open house in the library on February 11 from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. At the open house, students will learn about grants, work-study jobs, students loans, and scholarships. Attendees could have a chance to win a $500 or $1,000 scholarship.
- Standing Still Standing, our school's theater production, runs from February 19-23. The show begins at 7:00 PM and will be $7 for adults, $5 for seniors, and (or) $25 for a family pass. We encourage you to come and enjoy the show and support our talented students.
- February 25 will be a Freshmen Day at our school. The sophomores-to-be will be coming to our school to learn about the classes, clubs, and teams available to them next year.
- February 25 will also be a minimal day for staff development; students will be excused early that day.
- On March 3, juniors will take the ACT here at SHHS at no cost; they will register for the test in their U.S. History classes. We would like to encourage all juniors to take special care to be on time that day so they do not miss the opportunity to take the test; students who are late will not be able to take the test.
- The State FCCLA Competition will be held in Layton, Utah on March 10 and 11.
- The SHHS TV Broadcasting class has been working hard to create content for their daily show Skyhawks News Network (SNN). You can watch previous shows by going to thecube.com and searching for Salem Hills High School. You can also watch many of the stand-alone videos by visiting the SNN YouTube page at youtube.com/skyhawksnewsnet.
- As a note of reminder, cell phone use is allowed in class only under the direction and supervision of classroom teachers. Therefore, if a teacher does not allow cell phone use in his/her class, phones must be put away and remain put away for the duration of school/instruction time. Please help us maintain this use agreement.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (weight room).
This Week at a Glance: (2/9/15 - 2/13/15)
Monday: Choir Portraits
Parent Seminar on Youth Protection at Payson HS (6:30-8:00 PM)
Tuesday: SHHS Girls Basketball at Springville HS (5:15 PM)
SHHS Boys Basketball at Springville HS (7:00 PM)
Boys Volleyball (6:00 PM)
Soccer Open Gym (3:00 PM)
Wednesday: SHHS State Wrestling Tournament at UVU
Softball Workouts (3:00 PM)
Parent-Teacher Conferences (3:30-7:30 PM)
FAFSA Completion Open House (6:00-8:00 PM)
Thursday: SHHS State Wrestling Tournament at UVU
Boys Volleyball (6:00 PM)
Soccer Open Gym (7:00 PM)
Friday: State Swim at BYU
Sweethearts Dance (7:00 PM)
Saturday: State Swim at BYU
Top Schools Study Group (9:00 AM)