"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."
-- Greg Anderson
We've come to the halfway point of the year, and now is a good time to reflect on the first half of the year and to evaluate how things have gone here at SHHS. I'm sure we've (students, parents, teachers, and community members) experienced varying degrees of success and failure so far, and I'm sure we've had some really good times and maybe some not so good times as well. As we transition into the second half of this school year, let's recommit to being "Positive in the Present" and making the most of every opportunity we have here at SHHS. I look forward to what the second half of this school year holds in store for all of us associated with this great school; let's find joy and satisfaction in helping our students do and participate in their various studies and activities as well as finishing them.
SHHS DECA: Our students who competed in the Southern Region Competition for DECA did very well. Rylan Christensen and Sierra Draper placed 2nd in Sports and Entertainment Marketing, which was a team event. In the Product Service Marketing event, James Ebert took third place. Congratulations to these students for their accomplishment!
SHHS Drill Team: The drill team had a great performance on Friday night at halftime of the girls' basketball game. They have been working hard in preparation for their region competition next Thursday, January 29, at Maple Mountain HS. Come out and cheer them on as they compete for the region championship!
SHHS Wrestling: Last week the boys wrestled some very tough competition. After wrestling the top ranked team in the state the week before in Wasatch HS, our boys followed that up by facing the number three ranked team in the state: Maple Mountain HS. They wrestled and competed tough, but came up a bit short on points needed to win. Our team also competed in the Rocky Mountain Rumble at UVU last weekend where Jacob Armstrong, who has committed to wrestle at Nebraska next year, faced the sixth ranked wrestler nationally from Pocatello, Idaho for the championship of his weight class; though he finished 2nd, Jacob had a great tournament!
SHHS Cheer: Last Saturday (1/17) our cheer team competed in the southern regional cheer competition which was held here at our school. Over 20 teams were here to compete, and our girls took first in the 4A division again this year. The accomplishment was quite remarkable in and of itself but that they did it after one of their team members suffered a significant tendon injury during the week made it even more so. The team rallied around their injured teammate and performed great demonstrating talent and heart! They will next compete in the state competition on January 31 at Salt Lake Community College, and on February 13 they will travel to participate in the West Coast Championship in Anaheim, California. Great job, and good luck ladies!
SHHS Girls' Basketball: Last Friday night the girls got another big region win over the defending state champions, Springville HS. The game was close at half, but the ladies pulled away in the 4th quarter for a 48-37 point victory. Our girls will next play the Timpview Thunderbirds on Friday (1/23) night at 5:15 PM at Timpview HS.
SHHS Boys' Basketball: The boys also got a win against the Red Devils last Friday night. After a hard-fought, low-scoring first quarter and half, the boys pulled away for a 43-29 point win. The boys will also play the Thunderbirds on Friday (1/23) night at Timpview HS at 7:00 PM following the girls' game.
- Grades for 2nd term were posted on January 22.
- On January 29 the HOSA club will be sponsoring a school blood drive. Students can sign up to donate blood in Mrs. Lyman's room (E203) or during lunch on January 27.
- The Senior Dinner Dance will held this Saturday, January 24, beginning with dinner at 6:00 PM. This year's senior dinner/dance is not a date dinner/dance. It will be a true masquerade; however, students are not required to dress in masquerade attire. Tucanos will be catering the dinner. This masquerade should be a night of merry memory making for our seniors and future graduates.
- On February 5 selected seniors from our school will be participating in the NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) Test. Seniors have been contacted and the test will be in the library. This test is given to formulate a national report card for how our students and schools are performing academically.
- The SHHS Choirs will have professional portraits taken on Friday, February 6 for Men's Camerata, Singers, and Women's Chorale; and Monday, February 9 for Serendipity and Concert Choir. Students need to make sure they bring their choir uniform with them to school on the day of their picture. Megan Heaps, the photographer, will be available for group ($15) and individual ($30) portraits; order forms are available in the choir room.
- The SHHS TV Broadcasting class has been working hard to create content for their daily show Skyhawks News Network (SNN). You can watch previous shows by going to thecube.com and searching for Salem Hills High School. You can also watch many of the standalone videos by visiting the SNN YouTube page at youtube.com/skyhawksnewsnet.
- As a note of reminder, cell phone use is allowed in class only under the direction and supervision of classroom teachers. Therefore, if a teacher does not allow cell phone use in his/her class, phones must be put away and remain put away for the duration of school/instruction time. Please help us maintain this use agreement.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (room D104).
- Ammon Clark continues to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House by collecting pop tabs from soda cans. We can help Ammon in his collection efforts by bringing our pop tabs to the school and turning them into the front office, the counseling office, and (or) Mrs. Wilder's room.
Next Week at a Glance: (1/26/15 - 1/31/15)
Tuesday: SHHS Girls Basketball here versus Provo HS (5:15 PM)
SHHS Boys Basketball here versus Provo HS (7:00 PM)
Wednesday: Softball Workouts (3:00 PM)
Thursday: SHHS Region Drill Competition at Maple Mountain HS
SHHS Blood Drive
Soccer Open Gym (7:00 PM)
Friday: Soccer Open Gym (3:00 PM)
SHHS Girls Basketball at Spanish Fork HS (5:15 PM)
SHHS Boys Basketball at Spanish Fork HS (7:00 PM)
SHHS Region Swim at Provo HS
Saturday: SHHS Region Swim Provo HS