SHHS Weekly Newsletter 14Published by curtis.burton on Fri, 02/05/2016 - 15:25
Being as it is Super Bowl week and the Super Bowl weekend, I thought is fitting to focus on a Vince Lombardi quote; after all, he is the man the Super Bowl trophy is named for. Coach Lombardi once said, "Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work." Though we think our roles as students, parents, and teachers may be rather insignificant at times in the larger scheme of a school community, our individual commitment matters. If our commitment is lacking, the whole will feel the effects.
Mr. Peery always talks about how the individual can change the world for the better because it's the only way positive change has ever been facilitated. Our individual commitment to being the best student, parent, or educator we can be really impacts our SHHS community as a whole. So, to steel Coach Lombardi's admonition, let's continue to commit to making our SHHS team the best it can be, and if we need to recommit, hey, let's do it!
SHHS's Production of Annie Get Your Gun: Our SHHS students did a fabulous job presenting Irving Berlin's classic Annie Get Your Gun as this year's school musical. The cast did a great job with their performance, and it was obvious that all involved invested a lot of time and preparation into the show. Hearty applause go to Ms. Jana Lee Stubs (director), Mr. Justin Bills (musical director), Erica Gebert, Reagan Fausett, Katie Newman, KC Johnson, Wyatt Mullen, Spencer Sackett, Monson McKay, Thomas Flinders, Jace Salcido, Olivia McKay, Amanda Flinders, Jackson Badger, Jershon Nielsen, Samantha Mable, Jenna Rhodes, and the rest of the ensemble and technicians who made this such a great production! We look forward to your next SHHS show!
SHHS Students Sign National Letters of Intent: Wednesday, February 3 was National Letter of Intent signing day for football and soccer, and we had three of our students here at SHHS sign letters of intent to play these sports collegiately: Adrene Harding, Cooper Smith, and Zach Simmons. Adrene Harding signed to play soccer at Utah Valley University; Cooper Smith signed to play football at Southern Utah University; and Zach Simmons signed to play football at Northern Arizona University. Congratulations to these seniors and we look forward to watching them compete at the next level.
SHHS Students of the Month for January: Our SHHS science department teachers recently honored students in their classes who exemplify greatness in character and effort here at SHHS. Those students, as nominated by their teachers, include Taj Poulsen (nominated by Mr. Shuler), Evan Jack (nominated by Mr. Graham), McKynlee Wilson (nominated by Mr. Gillie), Jessica Hall (nominated by Mrs. Lyman), Ashlynn Horrocks (nominated by Mr. Haskell), and Eldon Moser (nominated by Student Council). Congratulations to these students of the month and thank you for being strong examples of Spirit, Heart, Honor, and Success!
SHHS Cheer: Our cheer team did a great job finishing 3rd at the state cheer competition held last Saturday at Riverton HS. In addition to their 3rd place finish, three of the eight students honored as Academic All-state recipients at the competition were from our high school: Amber Bailey, Maddie Meuter, and Makell Spencer. The team will next compete in Anaheim, California on February 13 at the West Coast Chamipionships. Congratulations to Coach Cindie Simmons, Coach Carrie Best, and the team for their awesome finish at state, and good luck in California!
SHHS Wrestling: Our wrestling team performed well at their Divisional Tournament held this week at Wasatch HS. The team advanced 11 wrestlers into the state competition and finished 4th at the tournament. One of the many highlights of the tournament was an epic triple-overtime match that featured SHHS wrestler Jaxon Van Tassell; Jaxon came up just a point shy in what may be the precursor to the state championship match at 170 pounds. Congratulations to Coach Don Van Tassell, Coach Eric Macdonald and our SHHS Wrestlers for their tough showing at the Divisional Tournament: Ryan Larsen (106) 3rd place, Chyler Zeeman (113) 4th place, Bryton Sheperd (120) 7th place, Noah Pattersen (126) 2nd place, Austin Davis (132) 5th place, Merrell Morley (138) 3rd place, Justin Martin (145) 3rd place, Dylan Christensen (145) 4th place, Kyle Larsen (160) 3rd place, Jaxon Van Tassell (170) 2nd place, and Brig Hughes (Hvy) 2nd place. Good luck at State!
SHHS Drill: At last Thursday night's Region VIII drill competition, which was held here at SHHS, our Lashays performed really well and qualified for the state drill competition. At the region competition, three SHHS Lashays were honored with All-region honors: Kelcee Davis, Alyssa Clark, and Kaylee Bradley. Also at the region competition, Courtney Hiatt was awarded the team's Hero Award; Taisha Howard, Keilani Fifita, Courtnee Herbert, Alyssa Clark, and Morgan Blanchard were awarded Academic All-region.
At the state competition, which was was held at Utah Valley University this week, Thursday, February 4, the team competed well before being eliminated from the competition. As part of the competition's honors, however, Taisha Howard and Courtnee Herbert will be recognized for making the All-state drill team, and Taisha Howard and Keilani Fifita will receive Academic All-state honors. Congratulations to the drill team and Coach Emilee Stokes for their awesome region and state performances!
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- There will be a Sweethearts Assembly on Friday, February 12, and the annual FFA sponsored Sweethearts Dance will be the next day on February 13 at 7:00 PM in the auxiliary gym; it is a boys choice dance.
- Our Parent Teacher Conference for this 3rd term will be on February 17 beginning at 3:30 PM and will go until 7:30 PM.
- Anyone interested in being a part of the Salem Hills Track & Field team, there will be a Parent Meeting for athletes and their parents on Tuesday, February 23 @ 7:00pm in the SHHS Cafeteria. If you are interested in track, please make every effort to be present at this meeting, as Coach Thompson will cover all critical information for the season and complete mandatory paperwork.
- Everyone is encouraged to come join the track team! The Salem Hills Track Teams both finished last year as Region Champions and placed 3rd in State, and this year the team looks to continue to build on this success. All athletes are welcome: sprinters, jumpers, distance runners, hurdlers, and throwers! No matter your body type or experience, Coach Thompson would love to have you join our great SHHS track program! We hope to see you on Tuesday, February 23!
- Wednesday, February 24 will be a Freshman Day here at SHHS and visiting freshman will come for basic school orientation; that day will also be a minimal day and school will be excused at 11:15 AM.
- Our Awesome PTSA would like to make our educational community aware of the following announcement: It is time to "Show Your Love For Your School" by donating to the SHHS PTSA Family Donation Drive. This will start on Monday, February 8. This is the main source of funds used by the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) for providing programs, teacher appreciation, senior scholarships, and to help fund equipment needs for our school. Your student will come home with an envelope for you to send your donation back with them to return to their English teacher. If you are unable to donate, please sign and return the envelope anyway because the English classes that return 100% by February 19 will be rewarded! Thank you for your support!
- The Salem City Library is hosting a young adult book cover redesigning contest. Contest participants will submit their design for a cover of a popular young adult title. Three winners will be awarded cash prizes. Applications are available at the Salem City Library or can be downloaded at salemcitylibrary.org/teens. The contest will run until February 29.
- Registration for AP tests ends Friday, March 11. To register click on the link under the student tab on the SHHS webpage or go to https://user.totalregistration.net/AP/450399 . Each exam costs $96.00. There will be a late fee of $10 after March 4.
- March 1, 2016 is the date that seniors need to have the state civics test completed by if they haven't already done so. Seniors who haven't taken the test need to complete it on their Canvas account on a school computer. The school's computer labs will be made available on March 1, 2016 for those who need to complete the test.
- Seniors who are interested in applying for an Academic Letter in Fine Arts, Business, Social Studies, Math, English, Science or a Foreign Language need to go to the counseling office and pick up the Academic Letter information. Each letter has different requirements for applicants to complete. Seniors may apply for as many letters as they would like as long as they meet the requirements. All applicant information must be turned into SHHS Department Chairs by April 14.
- Salem Hills High School and Nebo School District now have OverDrive! OverDrive is an online collection of eBooks and audiobooks that are available to students 24/7. OverDrive can be used online through the link nebo.lib.overdrive.com or through the free app on your tablet or smart phone. Your user name and password is the same as your Nebo School District computer login. For more information, please see Mrs. Rawle in the Library.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- SHHS attendance policy states that for students to be eligible to participate in a sport, musical performing group, or other extracurricular activity all attendance detentions from the previous term need to be served. For those who need to serve detention time, detention will be held before school in room C 209 with Mrs. Edmondson, and during lunch, and after school in room C 207 with Mrs. Hernandez. The cost is $1 before and after school; lunchtime detention has no charge.
- Remember to share all the awesome , inspiring, and heroic things that are going on at SHHS with #shhshero.
- Be sure to like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/salemhills.skyhawks?fref=ts
Next Week at a Glance: (2/8/16 - 2/13/16)
Monday: Offseason Football Workouts in the Weight Room @ 7:00 PM
Tuesday: SHHS Boys and Girls Basketball here versus Wasatch HS (Girls Varsity @ 5:15, and Boys Varsity
@ 7:00 PM)
Wednesday: SHHS Wrestling at State Tournament (Utah Valley University)
Offseason Football Workouts in the Weight Room @ 7:00 PM
SHHS Evening of Concertos @ 7:30 PM in the Auditorium
Thursday: SHHS Wrestling at State Tournament (UVU)
SHHS Swimming at State Tournament (BYU)
SHHS Solo and Vocal Ensemble (3:00-6:00 PM)
Offseason Football Workouts in the Weight Room @ 7:00 PM
Friday: SHHS Swimming at State Tournament (BYU)
Sweethearts Assembly @ 9:55 AM in the Auditorium
SHHS Boys and Girls Basketball here versus Springville HS (Girls Varsity @ 5:15, and Boys Varsity
@ 7:00 PM)
Saturday: Soccer Open Gym @ 6:30 AM
Sweethearts Dance @ 7:00 PM in the Auxiliary Gym