Napoleon Hill an American author who was a pioneer in the field of personal-success literature said, "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
How often can we do the small things we do in a "great way" or even a better way? Oftentimes we get caught up in the rut of just doing. We do our job, do our assignment, do our duty, but what is reflected in the attitude with which we do what we do? Are we doing it in a "great way"? It's easy to get complacent and go through the proverbial motions; however, if we bring "greatness" to the menial and seemingly unimportant tasks in our lives (and we can all identify what those would be for us individually), our character will be infused with the potential for greatness. Habitually we will begin to do "great things" due to the personal nature we've developed.
So, to make the educational application, let's strive to do "great things" by giving attention to the "small things" in our lives; let's examine the "small things" we engage in here at SHHS (whatever those may be for each of us individually) and look to do them in a "great way". Ultimately we'll see a lot more "great things" happening here at SHHS as a result!
Nebo Hall of Fame: At halftime of the Payson/Spanish Fork Football game, our own Mr. Peery was inducted into the Nebo Hall of Fame for his service and success as an athlete, mentor, football coach, and teacher. We are extremely fortunate to have him here as our principal. Congratulations Mr. Peery!
SHHS Band: Our band is competing this weekend in St. George at the state competition. We wish Mr. Larsen and our band the best of luck as they compete for possibly another state title.
SHHS Girls Volleyball: The ladies finished their season with a win against Payson HS, 3 games to 1 in the match. They next face Bonneville in the first round of the state playoffs at UVU on Friday, November 6 at 10:30 AM. The girls finished region play in 2nd place and look to continue their winning ways into state competition! Congratulations and best of luck to Coach Treanor and our volleyball team!
SHHS Boys Football: The team saw an awful lot of Maple Mountain HS this last week. They won against them last Friday night 22-0 to claim a share of 3rd place in Region 8, then had to turn around and face them again in a 7-6 grinder that we came out on the winning end of again. With the win, the team clinched a playoff spot tomorrow (10/31) against, and at, Highland HS at 1:00 PM. Congratulations to Coach Higginson, his staff, and our team on making state, and best of luck tomorrow!
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- October 31 is the 7th Annual Salem Witches 5K Run, a community 5K organized by our Track and Cross Country Teams. It's a great, casual 5K that Coach Thompson, his staff, and teams have really enjoyed putting on each year. Registration is available here at the school starting at 7:00 AM.
- There will be a PTSA Halloween dance October 31 from 7:00-10:00 PM here at SHHS. Come in Halloween attire and ready to have a great time! The cost is $5 at the door (no masks please).
- The Counselors will start to meet with 10th-grade students and their parents on Monday, November 2 and continue to meet 10th-grade students through December 11. This is a great opportunity for 10th graders and their parents to review their plans for graduation and to start to explore options available in getting ready for college and careers. Students and parents can set up an appointment on the Counseling Office website. The password is shhs at the following website: http://shhscounseling.weebly.com/
- Nebo School District will present a Parent Awareness Night in accordance with Utah Law. The topics of discussion will include: substance abuse and mental health services addressing depression, suicide awareness and suicide prevention. Several community service providers will be present to answer questions and help individuals to access services.
Date: Monday, November 2, 2015
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Springville High School auditorium (1205 East 900 South, Springville, Utah)
Your student may receive detention credit with approval from the school administration.
- On November 6 we will have a Senior College Day here at SHHS; seniors are encouraged to come in their best dress and representatives from out state's colleges will be here talk to our seniors about college and higher education opportunities. Seniors will meet in the auditorium to begin the day.
- Our Social Studies department will produce their annual Veterans' Day Assembly on November 11; Rex Thompson, one of the oldest living veterans of World War II and former marine who fought in the south pacific, will be our guest speaker.
- Utah College Application Week will be the week of November 16 through November 20 (details to come). Our goal is to help every senior apply to college or a post high school graduate program.
- Mrs. Rawle would like our school community to be familiar with the following information:
Overdrive now available for SHHS students!!!
Salem Hills High School in conjunction with Nebo School District is committed to bringing unique learning opportunities to our students and we are pleased to introduce a new, free reading service providing digital books through OverDrive https://overdrive.nebo.edu . The OverDrive collection is an extension of our physical library, only it’s online with 24/7 access to eBooks and audiobooks.
How does it work?
For computers and ereaders just go to https://overdrive.nebo.edu and sign in using your student computer login information. Browse books and Borrow to checkout.
To use on tablets, smartphones, and Chromebooks install the free OverDrive app, sign in or sign up for a free account. Using the Add a Library feature add NeboSchool District Digital Library. Log in using your school computer login and password. Browse books then Borrow to checkout.
Whether a student’s interest lies in study guides, classics for required reading, or the latest popular juvenile or young adult fiction, they can find it all in the digital collection through OverDrive at https://overdrive.nebo.edu .
For more information? Contact Mrs. Rawle in the library.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- For those who need to serve detention time, detention will be held before school in room C 209 with Mrs. Edmondson, and during lunch, and after school in room C 207 with Mr. Shumway. The cost is $1 before and after school; lunchtime detention has no charge.
- Remember to share all the awesome , inspiring, and heroic things that are going on at SHHS with #shhshero.
- Be sure to like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/salemhills.skyhawks?fref=ts
Next Week at a Glance: (11/02/15 - 11/06/15)
Monday: Parent Awareness Night @ Springville HS (6:30 PM)
Tuesday: Schedule's Open
Wednesday: Orchestra Concert (7:30 PM)
Thursday: Boys Youth Teams Basketball Tournament (6:00-10:00 PM)
Friday: Senior College Day (8:00 AM in the auditorium)
State Volleyball @ UVU versus Bonneville HS (10:30 AM)
Swimming at Orem Invitational
Honor Choir Fee Due
Saturday: Close Up Trip Departs
Pre-Footlocker Meet at American Fork HS
Swimming at Orem Invitational
Boys Youth Teams Basketball Tournament (Begins at 7:00 AM)