|Students make their way to school on a cold November morning.||97.42 KB|
Skyhawk Parents, Students, and Community,
“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” -- Lewis Carroll
Seeing the beauty of the mountains and our valley blanketed in winter snow fills me with conflicting emotions. I love the first snow and the fun that is associated with winter; however, it's difficult to deal with the havoc that winter wreaks on our lives. As members of this community, we've had to learn to deal with the paradox of our winter weather. So enjoy this winter weather, but remember to be careful as well. One great thing about the winter season, though, is the transition into our winter sports and activities here at SHHS, and we're looking forward to watching our students participate and compete in their various sports and activities in the weeks and months to come.
SHHS Debate: Last Friday and Saturday our school's debate program under the direction of Mr. Welton hosted their annual Skyhawk Smackdown. It was the largest Smackdown in the six-year history of the event; in fact, the event was so large that our nearby junior high had to be used as well to accommodate all the participants. 25 schools were represented with nearly 900 entries, and schools from as far south as Moab HS and as north as Roy HS came to participate in the event. Our SHHS debate team placed 1st in the event with a score of 259! 2nd place went to Juab HS (228), 3rd was Maeser Prep. (140), 4th was taken by Beaver HS (129), and the 5th spot was claimed by Timpview HS (109). Congratulations Skyhawks!
SHHS students who contributed to the overall win: 2nd Character SPAR: Christopher Taylor,
4th Character SPAR: Joshua Kitchen, 5th Character SPAR: Juliana Millet, 3-0 Lincoln Douglas: Katie Lynn Vaughn and Braxton Adams, 4-1 Lincoln Douglas: Mike Abbott (5th Place) and Tayler Ventura, 1st Parliamentary: Erik Johnson and Seth Erickson, 2nd Parliamentary: Ian Shumway and Ben Brimhall, 3rd Public Forum: Amy Robinson and Maleah Cook (4-1), 5th Public Forum Rachelle Gunderson and Albina Truax (4-1), 1st (Tied) Policy: Adam Johnson/Frank Phillipsen and Emily Miller/Justin Taylor 3-0, 3rd Policy: Zack Robison/Austin Short Debate 3-0, 5th Character SPAR: Ethan Adams, 2nd (Tied) Extemp: Jeffrey DeGraffenried, 5th Impromptu: Eric Johnson, 2nd (Tied) Oratory: Hayden Albrecht, 5th Poetry: Andrew Christensen, 6th Poetry: Bethany Davis, 1st SPAR: Tayler Ventura, 2nd SPAR: Addison Hicks, 4th SPAR: Conner Campbell, 5th SPAR: Jeffrey DeGraffenried
- Our school musical, Footloose, will run from November 20 through November 24. Show times will be at 7:00 PM. Admission is $8 for adults, $6 for students, and $30 for a family.
- Mrs. Williams' class is currently gathering clothing for Tabitha's Way. Our SHHS students are competing with one another to see which class (senior, junior, or sophomore) is able to donate the most clothing; the class that donates the most will win the "Biggest Heart" contest. Encourage your students to participate in this noble cause.
- There will be a Career Day here at the school on November 25. Students will have the opportunity to hear from career professionals in their 2nd and 3rd period classes on that date.
- As a note of reminder, ALL attendance detentions must be made up to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities and sports. Parents may excuse absences dating back a week, but unexcused absences that date back further than a week must be served as detention.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (room D104); our administrative team continues to offer detention time after school for students interested in biking, running, lifting weights and doing cross fit. The program is called Double Time, and students can earn double the detention time for participating.
- Our student Ammon Clark continues to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House by collecting pop tabs from soda cans. We can help Ammon in his collection efforts by bringing our pop tabs to the school and turning them into the front office, the counseling office, and (or) Mrs. Wilder's room.
Next Week at a Glance: (11/24/14 - 11/25/14)
Monday: SHHS School Musical: Footloose @ 7:00 PM
Tuesday: SHHS Boys' Basketball versus Cedar City HS (Soph. @ 3:30, JV @ 5:15, and Varsity @ 7:00)
Wednesday: Thanksgiving Break
Thursday: Thanksgiving Break
Friday: Thanksgiving Break
Have a fabulous week, and go Skyhawks!
Yours in service, the service of our students, and our community,
SHHS Dean of Students