SHHS Weekly Newsletter 2Published by curtis.burton on Fri, 09/11/2015 - 17:45
Our school's song begins, "We are the Salem Hills Skyhawks, proud to be Salem Hills Skyhawks! Standing united, we will lift school spirit. Soaring high, we scream our cry for all to hear it." And as I watched the Payson Onion Days Parade this last Monday, I was certainly uplifted by the energy and enthusiasm that our SHHS drill, band, cheer, and student council students brought to that event, in addition to several others of our students who were participants in the parade as well. Watching them march, dance, perform, and interact with parade patrons down the way made me proud to be a Salem Hills Skyhawk. Whether they are marching in a parade or not, our students do a tremendous job representing spirit, heart, honor, and success (SHHS) in the way they carry themselves as ambassadors of our school!
Have a great week, and GO SKYHAWKS!
SHHS Boys Football: Our football team next begins region play by taking on our neighbors to the north, the Spanish Fork Dons. Both teams are paying tribute to military and service men and women in our community as part of the game's festivities and our boosters' 3rd annual military appreciation night. Come and support our team and pay tribute to our veterans as our two closely knit communities meet on the gridiron.
SHHS Girls Tennis: This week the ladies played matches against Spanish Fork HS and Springville HS. Coach Tolbert is pleased that the ladies are competing well and showing improvement each week. They next face the Lady Lions on September 15 in Payson. Good luck ladies!
SHHS Cross Country: Coach Bart Thompson is pleased with the performance of both the boys and girls teams so far this year. They are competing well and positioning themselves for a run, literally, at the region title. They next compete today (9/11) at Payson HS.
SHHS Girls Soccer: The girls soccer team went 1-1 on the week with a victory over Springville HS and a loss on the road to Wasatch HS. They are positioning themselves to be in the thick of the hunt for the Region 8 title. Come and support this fast-paced, fun-to-watch team as they next take the pitch at home against Payson HS on September 17.
SHHS Volleyball: This week our volleyball team went 1-1 on the week with a victory over the Dons of SFHS and a closely contested defeat to Springville HS. Their record is 4-1 on the season. They next participate in the Rocky Mountain Classic this weekend (9/11 and 12) where they look to continue their quality play and winning ways.
SHHS Band: Our band looked and performed awesome in the Onion Days Parade in Payson on Monday. Their precision and sound was excellent. Their parade performance made us proud to be Salem Hills Skyhawks! The energy they bring to our school's events and assemblies is powerful!
SHHS Cheer: The cheer team continues to do a tremendous job bringing enthusiasm to SHHS and supporting all the teams and organizations at our school, and like the band, they did a great job in the Onion Days Parade representing our community. They will be performing at half time of tonight's football game, so come and see their patriotic tribute to our community.
SHHS Boys Golf: The boys golf team continues their winning ways by holding securely the 2nd place spot in Region 8. They narrowly missed defeating Wasatch HS in their last match at the Gladstan GC by only 3 strokes. They next play at Spanish Oaks GC on September 16 where they hope to gain ground on region- leading Wasatch HS.
SHHS Lashays: The drill team, under the direction of Coach Emilee Stokes, debuted another of their routines at today's pep assembly, and their performance was awesome and full of energy. It's obvious that our Lashays put a lot of work into the precision of their routines, and their hard work was evident with their most recent performance. Like the band and cheer, their Onion Days Parade performance was awesome!
Skyhawk Happenings and Information:
- Tonight our SHHS Football team and boosters will be holding their 3rd annual military appreciation night and would like to honor military veterans in our community by providing them free admission to the game, a free meal that will begin at 6:00 PM, and a short recognition program; we are honored to announce that Senator Orin Hatch will be in attendance and part of the night's festivities. The team and boosters would like to invite military veterans to come and be a part of this night as the team plays Spanish Fork HS.
- Student Spirit Shirts are available in the bookstore. They come in Navy, White, and Columbia. They can be purchased individually for $8 dollars or as a pack of three for $20. Support our school, its teams, programs, clubs, and organizations by wearing your Skyhawk pride with one of these awesome shirts!
- There will be a student stomp (dance) tonight after our home game (9/11) in the auxiliary gym that will run until 11:00 PM due to the late start of the stomp after the game. The cost will be $3.
- On Wednesday, September 16 the Plan Test for sophomores will be given here at the school. Only sophomores will attend on this day in the morning.
- September 16 is also an early out day. School will be released at 11:15 AM.
- Our first Parent Teacher Conference will be held on Wednesday, September 16 from 3:30 to 7:30 in the auxiliary gym.
- Homecoming week is the week of 9/21-9/26.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room 207 with Mr. Shumway.
Next Week at a Glance: (9/14/14 - 9/18/14)
Monday: Basketball Open Gym (5:00 - 8:00 PM)
Tuesday: Girls' Tennis @ Payson HS (3:30 PM)
Wednesday: Golf @ Spanish Oaks GC
Sophomore Plan Test
Early Out (School released at 11:15 AM)
Parent Teacher Conference (3:30 - 7:30 PM)
Thursday: Girls' Tennis @ Maple Mountain HS (3:30 PM)
JV/Sophomore Football versus Uintah HS (3:30 PM)
Girls' Soccer versus Payson HS (4:00 PM)
Volleyball versus Maple Mountain HS (6:30 PM)
Friday: Cross Country @ Spanish Fork HS
Football @ Uintah HS (7:00 PM)
Saturday: Region Marching Band @ Spanish Fork HS