Skyhawk Parents, Students, and Community,
“I wanted to figure out why I was so busy, but I couldn't find the time to do it.” -- Todd Stocker
We certainly are in the busy season here at SHHS with our bands, choirs, clubs, orchestras, and teams practicing, performing, and playing every night it seems. So, though I know we're all incredibly busy this time of year, take the time to come and enjoy the many talents that our students have worked so hard to share. I know our students appreciate your support, and it is a real pleasure to watch them perform and compete.
SHHS Drill Team: The drill team had a very successful beginning to their competition season this last Saturday at UVU. The team's hard work and preparation was made evident by the quality of their performances, with each of the team's dances placing in the top five. The ladies next competition will be at Copperhills HS on Dec 20. Great job ladies!
SHHS Debate: Our debate team competed in two debate tournaments last weekend. In the Tournament of Champions, our students competed valiantly facing the best debaters from over 15 states ranging from coast to coast. Though the team didn't compete as well as they would have liked, it was a good experience for them to match their skills against the best in the country. In the Carbon Combat Tournament, Jenessa Pratt took 1st place in Oratory and Storytelling; Mike Sanders took 3rd Place in Lincoln-Douglas; Hayden Albrecht took 4th in Oratory; and Chad Peterson took 2nd in Extemporary. Well done debate team!
SHHS Cross Country: Our school had 48 athletes compete in the Footlocker Western Regional at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California over the weekend. Our runners competed against several thousand athletes from all over the western United States. The students ran very well, and, as Coach Bart Thompson pointed out, represented Salem Hills HS very well, not just in the race, but throughout the entire trip.
SHHS Wrestling: The wrestling team took 1st place and claimed the hardware at their annual Skyhawk Showdown Tournament this last Friday and Saturday here at SHHS. Of the 16 teams that participated, our Skyhawks proved to be the best with Jaxon Van Tassell, Brennen Gerratt, Jacob Armstrong, and Jaxon Bowden each taking first in their weight classes; Kyle Larsen took 2nd in his weight class; Dallin Goold and Conner Sorensen took 3rd in their weight classes; Isaac Parrish and Quinn Morley took 4th in theirs, and Bryton Shepherd took 5th in his; Collin Sorensen took 1st place in the J.V. tournament. Great job wrestlers!
SHHS FBLA Competition: Four students from our school participated in the FBLA Central Region Competition last Thursday at UVU, and all four of our students placed in at least one event. Lauren Bennett placed 2nd in Database Design & Application and 2nd in Word Processing; Sierra Draper took 2nd in the Future Business Leader category as well as 4th in Public Speaking 2; Hannah Wheelwright placed 3rd in Impromptu and 4th in Word Processing; Mary Menlove and Sierra Draper placed 5th in Sports & Entertainment Management. We'd like to congratulate these students on their excellent performance.
SHHS Girls' Basketball: The girls' basketball teams played very well in the Desert Hills Invitational on Friday (12/5) and Saturday (12/6). The sophomore team went 3-0, the JV team was 3-0, and our varsity team went 2-1. So far on the year, the entire program is 13-1. The team next plays Lehi HS in Lehi on December 12 at 6:00 PM and Hillcrest HS here on Saturday afternoon at 3:30.
SHHS Boys' Basketball: The boys basketball team is 3 and 1 on the season with victories last week over Uintah HS (68-53) and Mountain View HS (82-55). They next face Tooele HS this Wednesday (12/10) in Tooele at 7:00 PM and local rival Payson HS here on Friday night (12/12) before traveling to Florida next week to play in a holiday invitational.
- The Salem Hills High School Fine Arts Department proudly presents "Wintertide: A Holiday Musical Celebration" featuring the combined Salem Hills choirs, orchestras, and bands on Wednesday, December 10 at 7:00pm. Tickets are $8 for adults; $6 for students, children, senior citizens, and military; and $30 for a Family Pass. There will also be a reception following the concert with light refreshments. Come support the over 400 students involved with this incredible production. Tickets are available for purchase at the Salem Hills Finance Office or at the door.
- As a school community, we would like to help Mr. Layne Moody collect new stuffed animals to donate to the IHC hospital in Provo, the hospital that provided his daughter care before her passing last year. If you would like to donate to this cause, you can deliver a new stuffed animal to Mr. Layne Moody's room (D206) or the school's front office by December 19; the stuffed animals will be delivered to the hospital on December 22.
- On December 12 there will be a Pursuing Victory with Honor Assembly here at the school during the school day, the assembly will follow our assembly schedule.
- The ACT will be given on December 13 here at the school for those who have pre-registered for this date.
- December 15 will be a Monday Make-up Day. The make-up time will run from 1:55-4:00 PM, and students can receive double detention time for participating.
- We will be having an Anti-bullying Assembly on December 16 during school; we will be following our assembly schedule.
- As a note of reminder, ALL attendance detentions must be made up to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities and sports. Parents may excuse absences dating back a week, but unexcused absences that date back further than a week must be served as detention.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (room D104).
- Ammon Clark continues to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House by collecting pop tabs from soda cans. We can help Ammon in his collection efforts by bringing our pop tabs to the school and turning them into the front office, the counseling office, and (or) Mrs. Wilder's room.
Next Week at a Glance: (12/15/14 - 12/19/14)
Monday: Monday Make-up Day
Tuesday: SHHS Girls' Basketball @ Morgan HS (6:00 PM)
SHHS Orchestra Christmas Concert here at 7:30 PM (auditorium)
Wednesday: SHHS Wrestling @ Payson HS (7:00 PM)
SHHS Band Christmas Concert here at 7:00 PM (auditorium)
Thursday: SHHS Wrestling with Provo HS (7:00 PM)
Friday: SHHS Girls' Basketball with Carbon HS (7:00 PM)
SHHS Boys' Basketball in Florida
SHHS Wrestling @ Viewmont Invitational
Saturday: SHHS Wrestling @ Viewmont Invitational
SHHS Drill Competition at Copperhills HS
SHHS Boys' Basketball in Florida
Have a fabulous week, and go Skyhawks!
Yours in service, the service of our students, and our community,
SHHS Dean of Students