“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Maybe it's because I'm particularly excited about the third Hobbit movie coming out soon, but when I came across this Tolkien quote, it really resonated with me. I think it resonated with me because it seems to capture the essence of what we're striving for this year with our "Positive in the Present" focus here at SHHS. Shawn Achor, the author of The Happiness Advantage and advocate of living positive in the present, says that if we keep looking to the horizon for happiness, we may never get there. Therefore, he advocates that we find happiness where we are, and like Tolkien might say, not worry about "hoarded gold" or the accumulation thereof. Tolkien claims we can find merriment (happiness) in valuing our food, cheer, and song, and I would add that happiness really comes from the sincerity with which we value our food, cheer, and songs and, most importantly, those with whom we share them. So let's enjoy some good food, some good times, and some good tunes with the people we enjoy most; the world will be a better place for it.
2014-2015 SHHS Sterling Scholars: We would like to recognize and congratulate this year's Sterling Scholars: Art – Kenny Van Ausdal; Math – Joe Cromar; Social Science – Juliana Millet; English – Bethany Wride; Vocal Performance – Nicole Flinders; Instrumental Performance – Kaytlin Davis; Speech/Theater Arts/Forensics – Sariah Lee; Skilled and Technical Sciences – Rylee Beckstead; Family and Consumer Sciences – Hayden Hullinger; Computer Technology – Katelyn Gallacher; Business and Marketing – Lauren Bennett; World Languages – Mitchell Stone; Dance – Kenadee Limb; and Science – Devri Adams. We are proud to have these students represent our school.
SHHS Girls' Basketball: The ladies continued their winning ways by defeating Orem HS last night by a score of 68 to 47. The team will next compete in a tournament this weekend at Desert Hills HS in St. George. We'd like to wish the ladies luck!
SHHS Boys' Basketball: The boys basketball team got a win to tipoff their season last Tuesday night (11/26). They defeated Cedar HS for their first win of the year, 77-56. Last night they battled a good Pleasant Grove High team, eventually succumbing to the Vikings 81-63. They get right back at it, though, traveling to Vernal to play Uintah HS tonight.
- The Salem Hills High School Fine Arts Department proudly presents "Wintertide: A Holiday Musical Celebration" featuring the combined Salem Hills choirs, orchestras, and bands on Wednesday, December 10 at 7:00pm. Tickets are $8 for adults; $6 for students, children, senior citizens, and military; and $30 for a Family Pass. There will also be a reception following the concert with light refreshments. Come support the over 400 students involved with this incredible production. Tickets are available for purchase at the Salem Hills Finance Office or at the door.
- As a school community, we would like to help Mr. Layne Moody collect new stuffed animals to donate to the hospital that provided his daughter care before her passing last year. If you would like to donate to this cause, you can deliver a new stuffed animal to Mr. Layne Moody's room (D206) or the school's front office by December 19; the stuffed animals will be delivered to the hospital on December 22.
- On December 12 there will be a Pursuing Victory with Honor Assembly here at the school during the school day, following our assembly schedule.
- The ACT will be given on December 13 here at the school for those who have pre-registered for this date.
- December 15 will be a Monday Make-up Day. The make-up time will run from 1:55-4:00 PM, and students can receive double detention time for participating.
- We will be having an Anti-bullying Assembly on December 16 during school; we will be following our assembly schedule.
- As a note of reminder, ALL attendance detentions must be made up to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities and sports. Parents may excuse absences dating back a week, but unexcused absences that date back further than a week must be served as detention.
- Detention will be held before school, during lunch, and after school in room C207 with Ms. Houghton and before school with Mr. Schwenke (room D104).
- Ammon Clark continues to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House by collecting pop tabs from soda cans. We can help Ammon in his collection efforts by bringing our pop tabs to the school and turning them into the front office, the counseling office, and (or) Mrs. Wilder's room.
Next Week at a Glance: (12/08/14 - 12/13/14)
Tuesday: Wintertide Orchestra Rehearsal @ 3:00 PM
SHHS Wrestling @ Springville HS (7:00 PM)
Wednesday: SHHS Boys' Basketball @ Tooele HS (7:00 PM)
SHHS Girls' Basketball @ Lehi HS (6:00 PM)
SHHS "Wintertide: A Holiday Musical Celebration" @ 7:00 PM
Thursday: SHHS Wrestling with Timpview HS (7:00 PM)
Friday: SHHS Girls' Basketball with Juab HS (5:15 PM)
SHHS Boys' Basketball with Payson HS (7:00 PM)
Winter Stomp (following the game)
SHHS Wrestling @ Juab Classic
Saturday: ACT (for students who have pre-registered) 8:00 AM - 12:00
SHHS Wrestling @ Juab Classic
SHHS Girls' Basketball with Hillcrest HS (3:30 PM)