A bit shout out to Chris Thomas our Internship Coordinator for an amazing Career Day last week. Also, a big thanks to Danny Lundell, our counselor who has done tremendous work putting together ACT and ACT Prep. They've both been recognized by Principal Bart Peery with the "Yellow Jersey" award.
Congratulations to the our February Skyhawk Students of the Month!
10th Grade Students-
- Ariel Hall- Nominated by Mrs. Shuler
- Jason McConnell- Nominated by Mrs. Hunsaker
11th Grade Students-
- Axel Mcbride- Nominated by Mr. Bills
- Shaylee Pugmire- Nominated by Mr. Wells
12th Grade Students-
- Michael Mortensen- Nominated by Mrs. Rosenberg
- Kalli Coburn- Nominated by Mrs. Johansen
Region Debate Winners - 8 Years in a Row!
2nd Seth Christensen
Oratory1st Mike WinderNational Extemp2nd Adam JohnsonCongress1st Josh Kitchen2nd Seth Erickson3rd Kamen KentPublic Forum1st Sarah Quesenberry and Rebeca KnappT-2nd Addi Hodgson and Zane JolleyT-2nd Makayla Mantilla and Shawn Thorne4th Meagan Welton and Hyrum DevenportImpromptuT-1st Helen AdamsT-1st Cameron BradshawForeign Extemp2nd Zach Rash3rd Catherine GreenwoodPolicy1st Zac Robison and Nathan Meads2nd Richard Wagner and KinZie Bigelow3rd Justice Tate and Maggie Olson4th Josue Zavala and Justin RoylanceRegion Overall1st Salem-1382nd Spanish Fork-323rd Springville-29
Here are the results from the State Deca competition last week:James Ebert: -One of the top 15 competitors in the Marketing Communication role play event.-Received top 10 percent of highest scores in the marketing exam.Dylan Baxter:-Competed in the Sports and Entertainment role play event.Congratulations!
- The combined choirs and chamber orchestra from Salem Hills will be producing our first annual Broadway's Best concert, entitled "Live in Living Color" featuring 15 songs from musicals. Tickets are $5 and are available for purchase in the Finance Office. There will be nearly 300 students involved in this concert and it'll be nothing like you've seen from us before!
- Main Street Pizza Athletes of the Week are Noah Patterson (Wrestling) and Jordan Haslam (Drill). Congrats to these outstanding Athletes! We award them a free 12 inch pizza from Main St. Pizza, a Gatorade, and a Redbox Promo code. Our Stokes Fan of the Week is Kenzie Wilkinson.
- On January 30th, the Salem Hills FFA competed in the Utah Area 5 Leadership Development Events. New to Utah this year is the Conduct of Chapter Meetings event, which is designed for 7th, 8th, and 9th grade students to learn how to conduct an officer meeting and use parliamentary procedure. The Salem Hills team placed 1st in the event. Members include Bailee Hansen, Maddie DeHart, Eli Evans, Bailey Hansen, Matt Lacey, Daycee Drury, and Jourdyn Cardon. All are students at Mt. Nebo Jr. High. In Prepared Public Speaking, Janie Lyman of Salem Hills High placed 1st with her speech entitled “Quagga Mussels.” In Creed Speaking, Haylee Stewart of Salem Jr. High was one of two individuals that qualified to move on to state, Tait Ising of Mr. Nebo Jr. placed 2nd in the event. In the Farm Bureau Discussion Meet, Gage Gravley of Salem Hill High was one of two individuals that qualified for state. In Extemporaneous Speaking, Keelan Stewart placed 3rd overall, and the Parliamentary Procedure team placed 2nd. Salem Hills also has 5 individuals from Salem Hills High that will be receiving the State FFA Degree; Keelan Stewart, Sydney Harris, Jocelyn Bell, Kasey Hancock, and Tanner Diamond. The state events will be held in Cedar City on March 9th. Great job and good luck at state!